The editorial starts with a promising bang (the title), then meanders aimlessly with a ??status quo-esque analysis and subsequently ends with a whimper!
In nutshell, here is my understanding of what the editorial suggests :
- US has both carrot (how magnanimous, considering so many recent revelations of Pakistan???s perfidy!) and stick for Pakistan
- Offer Kayani a choice regarding Pakistan Army???s support to Taliban
- If Kayani does not choose the right option, threaten him using India???s name.
- If Kayani makes the right choice, work on reducing Indian influence in Afghanistan (ever so subtly suggested in the editorial!)
My questions are :
- How is this strategy different from what Obama already pursues?
- Why should the approach of the US towards India in Afghanistan be a function of what choice Kayani makes? What sort of foreign policy is this, considering India is the world???s largest democracy and a natural ally of the US?
The editorial, in my view, exhibits helpless anger of the US/NATO towards Pakistan but reinforces the status quo, That won???t take the US anywhere in Afghanistan.
What are your views about the US policy towards AfPak? Do you agree with the ideas expressed in the editorial? Please share your views!